Sunday 12 September 2010

Day 4

My favourite book.

This is worse than music or films, or anything else. I am a prolific reader, and have been for years.

That saying, when I first started reading, I would only read the famous five for a long long time. Then my uncle and my dad gave me one of Anne MacCaffery's books.- Dragon Song I think it was. Since then, well I read a lot of Science Fiction. The best series there is David Webber's Honorverse. The first one is On Basilisk Station, and now there is a wealth of books set in and around the Honorverse.

Pure Space Opera.

Science Fiction led, quite naturally for me, to fantasy. And my alltime favourite author there is Mercedes Lackey. I've not yet found one of hers I don't like, but the tales of 500 kingdoms and her rewrites of common fairy stories like snow white and cinderella are well worth a read. Also in fantasy is Diane Duane's Young Wizard series, starting with So You Want To Be A Wizard. I read the first three in secondary school and I've been so hooked I've actually gone out and bought them in hardback when they were published. I do that for very few books. There are nine in that series so far and another two in the same universe. As an added bonus, Diane Duane does Star Trek novels as well :)

Another few books I like: PS I love you. It chokes me up every time. As does Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper. Mary Stewart's Thornyhold I've read so much pages are falling out of it. Back to Sci Fi, and Harry Turtledove's The Case Of the Toxic Spell Dump is incredibly well written with magic replacing science. But the magic is science. Mansfield Park is another book I read over and over again, as is Garth Nix's Abhorsen Series: Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen. And of course, I can't forget the wonder that is Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.

But probably, my favourite books: there has to be three, are Jane Eyre which just feels timeless and has the one line I most remember from a book. 'Reader, I married him.' And the other story is the first one in another series: Jasper Fford's The Eyre Affair. This book makes me laugh out loud no matter where I am, which has ended with me getting some strange looks on the train and bus, and it is just a book lovers' inside joke the whole way through the series. I first read it in 2004 when I was on a narrowboat holiday, so there are fond memories there as well.

These two books, along with Rudyard Kipling's complete collection of verse are the three books I take with me no matter where I move, and if I was only allowed to save three books, it would be these.

This post was made a lot harder by the fact that, in my teens, I decided to read the entirety of the BBC's Big Read list, the 100 favourite books of the nation. I'm still slogging at it. It shall not defeat me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The BBC list is insanely long!!! D: D: I am sure you shall succeed :D

BTW, I have tagged you in a post :)

http://thegkdiaries.blogspot.com/