Monday 16 February 2009

Fish

This week has been a fishy week. First, there has been a want that has been growing all week - so far unsatisfied - for fish and chips. Then I end up watching Big Fish (Tim Burton, good film), eating mackerel for lunch and having conversations about the follies of making fish wear jumpers. (The jumper would get wet, so they'd just be colder. So don't take a fish for a walk in winter.) And then I go to make myself a cuppa, and discover Darwin in the tea cupboard. I'd forgotten I was meant to be fish sitting. And this time around, she isn't playing dead.

This week I have also been trying out contact lenses. The most bizarre feeling in the world, after nearly 18 years of wearing glasses, is to be able to look around, and realise that there is no wire rim around my sight, above which everything is blurry. Although, looking at the little booklet that has a list of do's and don'ts, I wasn't aware that people had a desire to lick their contact lenses. I certainly don't.

The trying of the contact lenses shows just how much a creature of habit I really am. After putting in the lenses the other day, I saw my glasses. And thought, hang on, I'm not wearing any glasses. So I put them on. Everything, of course, went very blurry, so I decided that I hadn't got my glasses on, and went looking for them. It was only when I found my spare pair, and went to put them on as well did I realise. I think that leaving the lenses for hitty-hitty LARP fun in the future is a good idea.

Chocolate has also featured. One birthday cake, and one birthday, well, you can't rightly call it a cake. Or anything other than rich-gooey-chocolatey-maltezery-mess. 335 weight watchers points for the whole thing. Ouch. but ummm. It's a good thing birthdays aren't everyday.

Speaking of chocolate, it is time to feed the fish. And the sister. And decide what is for tea.

No comments: