Thursday 7 February 2013

So what did uni do for me?

In 2007 I sarted my degree. Medical genetics. There were loads of jobs going, and the economy was good. Then it wasn't. I graduated in June 2011. It is now 2013. I was applying for 5 jobs a week. I was getting a reply for maybe one a fortnight. I had 3 interviews. Not a month. In a year and a half. And then my nerves took over in a way they didn't throughout my exams, and I botched them.

Things felt pretty bleak there for a while, and I became angry that I had wasted four years at uni. There had been no point whatsoever.

But there was. I learnt about a subject that fascinates me endlessly. If you ever want to see me as more of a flailing mess than usual ask me to explain just what it is about genetics. I can promise I will babble, repeat myself and fall silent at my ineptitude to explain this bright shining thing.

If that wasn't enough, knowledge for the sake of knowing, for the joy of knowing, it acted as a gateway to catapult me into nursing, something I think will give all the job satisfaction I'll ever need.

But the biggest thing I learnt at university, 300 miles from anybody I had ever known, was me. I learnt about myself. I grew into my faith a way I wouldn't have at home, I learnt what makes me a good friend and that people can depend on me if they need to. And I learnt to stand on my own two feet and know that when I need to I can depend on me. I couldn't have done that so close to my family. I wouldn't have given myself a chance.

And you know what? By learning myself I learnt how to let someone love me, even when I don't love myself. So overall, uni was a pretty big thing for me. And it was worth it. Even if I never got a job at the end of things.

1 comment:

txmommylady said...

Life is a patchwork of learning and relearning. I hope you continue your path and find satisfaction is your endeavors.