Thursday 9 July 2009

Moving Day

Moving house is a strange thing. It means the end of one way and the start of another, a new beginning but also another ending. Now this can be a good thing, or a really bad thing.

I have just moved out of halls, and into my first house. Granted it is a student house, but it is a house nonetheless, and I find I am quite bewitched by it. Even more so that the house has three levels and I have lived anywhere with more than two, if you count a flat has having only one. I have a poky little bedroom, which is fine. In fact, the only problem I can see with it is that I cant reach the rail in my wardrobe. And that if I'm not careful then I'll, (and even more so for those unfortunates taller than 5”6') hit my head when going downstairs into my nice spacious kitchen.

Best of all, Archimedes and Screw aren't illegal any more. And they will never, ever have to go over the bumps in Storthes Hall again.

I'll miss Storthes, Not least the fact that when humanity got too much for me I could disappear into the woods for a few hours, or that fact that I could play at being all grown up without actually having to be all grown up. Now I have to pay bills. No, I'll miss the antics of the other students I saw, and the friends I made, and the security guards. When all you have to do is buy food and pay rent, well, it's like the paddling pool of real life. Yes. This year is going to be a corker all round.

Not only am I having to pay bills, am responsible for my own place, and have gone from having six other people to make sure I don't do anything too blond, to one. I'm also going to be working. Like a normal person. From 9 till 5. For a whole entire year. I start Monday, which, by the time this will have been posted, will have passed, because I'm not getting internet till next Thursday. Yes. Next year, I get to pretend that I'm not a student and pay my bills, like a good little proletariat. Only with substantially less money. But then, students are always meant to be broke.

So. Now I have internets, I can finish it.

This past week has been a lot of fun. I've got a new house and a new housemate. I've had to learn how to live with a new person and how to work in a lab, and not work in a lab practical. I've learnt the different between the experiment not working and the product not working, making the experiment look like it wasn't working. And that hurrying to make sarnies in the morning is a bad idea unless you want the contents of the fridge on top of you and that if you are going to wake someone up, do so with a cuppa for them. They'll forgive anything for that. It is definitely still early days when it comes to the job; I'm looking forward to going in come Saturday.

No comments: